Wednesday, March 5, 2014

89Plus

The main talk which stuck in my head at the Design Indaba Simulcast was the 89Plus discussion. This didn't stick in my head because of their artistic metrit, but for the topic which the majority of them based their work on. Most of the artists based their work on Apartheid which I found very strange and slightly disturbing. These were people who were "born frees" basically and may have experienced Apartheid for 5 years but were still so stuck on it. I feel that they were just reinforcing the negative things which have happened in our past instead of looking into the future of our country.  I know that Apartheid is an important part of South African history but wouldn't it is be better so showcase to the world how our country has improved rather than showing them how even the 89Plus are still so stuck on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment